Saturday, August 8, 2015

Is there such a thing as be too old to serve? I know in certain industries, sports and modeling off the top of my head. But being waitress-server- too old? Or is it too stuck in their ways.I work now at BFG and somewhat happy there and did plan to move up to management. But through "hear say" I am not up to the challenge .Is it a GM's thought that a diner server is not good enough, or "sloppy"? I have went to a few places a few years back, and I was told "oh you are a diner server-not what we want" I am not too sure what it was they didn't want. If anyone has worked in a "DINER" a thing call multi tasking. We have to 1. Present menus and explain daily specials, how they are prepared, the ingredients, what can and cannot be taken out of the dishes, whether they get soup or salad, if dessert is offered, what kind and this is to EVERY table. 2. Offer Cocktails and or apps before we walk away from the table. In the back of the house, I used to set up the bread baskets, make out toast for breakfast dishes, sandwiches, or even if they wanted to eat just toast. We set up salad stations, getting every dressing known to man either made or get into 1/4 size pans. We set up the soup stations. When people ordered waffles, the servers cooked them. On top of that, if there were to go orders on the phone, we took their orders, took care of our tables made salads, made the soups, oh and now pack up the to go orders with the bread to go.. and in between that cut slices if cakes for the EB specials. Run your food, prebus your tables and oh yeah another to go order on the phone. Take cash, make change, run credit cards. Deal with guests that want 30 coupons for 5 different plates. learn how to hand write tickets and use the computer for other orders. Sometimes we would have an expo... and when your food was up.. ding ding ding ding ding went the call bell!!! Always have a smile. Thank the ppl with the to go orders that didn't tip you .. but I still have to bus out (tip out) at the end of the night for your 75.00 to go order. SO I actually paid for your food to go. Getting back to my point/rather question? Why are diner servers given a bad reputation? Granted I stopped working in diners because there is no room for growth. But it took YEARS for me to get into a corporate style restaurant. I have worked at a few places and I learned something new in everywhere I was. I never planned on making this a career. I truly didn't. I thought management was going to be where I was at my age. But the stabbing hurt I felt when I heard "Her family must be ashamed of her, a server and she is in her late 40's." I am unsure now what to do. Is this true? I am the oldest person at my place of employment. BUT I am the hardest working, I get the most guest compliments, my sale for corporate are very high!! Some days after working a 8 hour shift, I can leave with over $300. ( and those of you wondering- I claim 100% of my tips, and my paycheck is $0.00). What I am saying and asking 1. Please tip your server on to go orders. They might not have severed you personally .. but the still did the work of prepping all your food, they also at the end of the night have to tip out on your bill of sale which is in there check out report at the end of the night. 2. If I am 47 and can work straight through a 10 hour shift and still maintain a smile and give a$$ kicking service.. am I going to be without a job before I am 50?? I am hurt-heartbroken and my spirit is broken!! Un-sure what am I going to do . I know the company I am at... I am not moving up. But will I be hired at another well known establishment for my experience. Or will they say nope somebody 20 years younger can do a better job. I know for a fact I do my job well and when I have ppl saying " you made our experience memorable, and we will be back BECAUSE OF YOU"... What now?? REALLY WHAT NOW!!!??     

No comments:

Post a Comment